The holidays are an excellent time to connect with loved ones and enjoy yourself. But, unfortunately, they’re also stressful. Stress has many adverse effects on the body, including tightening your muscles, amplifying your aches and pains, and making exercise more likely to result in injury.
What better way to make sure your friends and family can enjoy their time off than by gifting them (or yourself, let's be honest) tools to make it easier to get or stay flexible?
10 Gift Ideas to Improve Flexibility
Here are ten of our favorite tools for increasing flexibility! We’ve chosen specific products we like, but feel free to find versions from your favorite sports store.
Please note that when buying for other people, you should keep their physical needs and limitations in mind.
1. Stretch strap-$17.95 from OPTP
The stretch strap helps people with limited mobility to exercise. It can be used by anyone, including those who have disabilities and are recovering from an injury.
It is a straightforward exercise tool that can be used in the comfort of your own home. All you need to do is wrap the stretch strap around the foot or leg and use it to stretch your major muscle groups gently.
2. Foam roller-$36.99 from Academy
Foam rollers are a type of self-massage tool that is used to massage and release muscles. They are cylindrical and can have different textures to target pressure points.
Foam rollers are typically used to relieve stiff muscles, reduce the discomfort of sore joints, and decrease the risk of injury.
3. Yoga blocks-$22.00 from Athleta
Yoga blocks are an essential tool for supporting the body in yoga postures. The block intensifies stretches and helps with balance. It also helps to prevent injury by keeping the body in alignment.
Yoga blocks are usually made from cork or foam. They come in different lengths and widths, so they can be used to support various parts of the body.
4. Yoga wheel-$19.99 from Academy
The yoga wheel helps stretch your spine and back muscles, as well as your hamstrings. People with back problems such as scoliosis or kyphosis also use yoga wheels.
The yoga wheel can be used in various ways, depending on the user's needs and abilities. You can use it on the floor, against a wall, or even on your bed or couch if you are starting out.
5. Leg stretcher-$29.99 from Amazon
The leg stretcher helps stretch the hamstring and calf muscles, which are often tight from sitting for long periods. It essentially holds your feet apart and provides resistance for practicing center splits or for increasing how high you can kick.
6. Slant training board-$94.99 from StrongTek
A slant board is a small board that can help improve flexibility. It is typically made of wood and has an angle of about 30 degrees. The slant board can be used in different ways:
- To stretch your hamstrings, you place the slant board under your feet and lean forward from the waist with one arm on the ground for support.
- To stretch your calves, you would stand on a slant board with one foot in front of the other, then lean forward from the waist with both arms outstretched for support.
You can also use it while lifting weights to stretch while you do strength training!
7. Massage balls-$16.00 from RAD
Massage balls have many pros and can benefit just about anyone.
- They are portable and can be used almost anywhere.
- You can use them before or after exercising.
- They provide relief from pain in the muscles and joints.
- They help with muscle recovery by increasing flexibility, reducing soreness, and speeding up the healing process of muscles that have been injured or strained.
8. Shiatsu massager- $89.99 from Bed Bath & Beyond
Shiatsu massages are a style of massage that provides deep, soothing pressure that can help reduce pain and muscle tension in the body. Seat toppers provide those benefits whenever you need them, with the added benefit of a heating element that further relaxes your body.
9. Massage gun-$299.00 from Theragun
This massage gun is a handheld device that massages the muscles in your body with concentrated pressure. It helps increase flexibility, reduce stiffness, and relieve muscle pain. You can use it on yourself or with a partner, and they even sell travel-sized ones!
10. Door Stretching Strap-$15.00 from Amazon
A door stretching strap is a long, elastic band attached to a doorframe. You wrap it around your foot and hold onto the handles for stability. It's especially useful for dancers!
Help People Reach Their Stretch Goals!
Flexibility improves the quality of life in many ways. While it's important for people who exercise regularly to avoid injury, it's just as essential for people who lead a more sedentary lifestyle. So help the ones you love to enjoy their holidays to the fullest.Find more gifts to help with flexibility, strength, and balance by shopping at the StrongTek store.